10 May Our Recommend Dental Products
WHAT IS THE BEST TYPE OF TOOTHBRUSH?
A soft or extra soft tooth brush is the best choice. These toothbrushes are the kindest to your teeth and gums. Studies have showed that people who use electric toothbrushes such as the Oral-B or Sonic care toothbrush have 50% less plaque than people who use a manual toothbrush.
THE DIFFERENT TYPES OF TOOTHPASTE
Each toothpaste choice depends on the patient’s needs. A patient with no teeth problems will find most toothpaste options are fine. The only real active ingredient in most toothpaste is Fluoride. Whitening toothpaste does not tend to whiten teeth much, but they have abrasives in them which can cause tooth sensitivity and damage
If a patient has cold sensitive teeth, toothpaste for sensitive teeth can often help. These products have Potassium nitrate in them which can make teeth less cold sensitive over time.
If a patient has problems with re-occurring, non-herpetic mouth ulcers, some toothpaste can help. Some people are sensitive to sodium lauryl sulfate (chemical that makes the toothpaste fizz) which is in most toothpaste. If a person is sensitive to this chemical, they should use a toothpaste without it or no toothpaste at all. Sensodyne has taken this product out of all of its toothpaste. If you have a problem with ulcers, ask your dentist.
THE DIFFERENT TYPES OF FLOSS
We often recommend POH floss. This floss is very thin and tends to clean the best. The only problem is that it is harder to use. Other Types of floss are:
- Glide floss- about the easiest floss we have found to use
- Floss threaders- there are several market. Reach and Glide make good ones.
- Water flossers- Not as good as floss, but better than not flossing at all
OTHER DENTAL PRODUCT WE RECOMMEND
- Listerine- kills bacteria which cause gum disease. We like the purple Listerine because is also contains fluoride
- Fluoride rinses for kids- great to help prevent tooth decay. Several on the market. ACT is a common one.
Have a question about something we didn’t cover? Please contact us today for more information.