25 Nov Preparing for Your TMJ Surgery
Do you have an upcoming TMJ surgery scheduled? This is a major surgical procedure, and to get ready, there are some steps that you can take to prepare ahead of time. Don’t make the mistake of trying to get a recovery strategy together after your surgery has been completed, as you will be in no condition to go out and get the items that you need once you are released from your oral surgery center.
SHOPPING TIPS FOR BEFORE YOUR TMJ SURGERY
If you will be having TMJ surgery in the near future, the best way that you can prepare is to get some essential items ahead of time. If you’ll be making a store run to stock up on must-have items, be sure to add some of these to your list:
- Buy some pajamas and other clothing items that you can put on and remove without pulling them over your head.
- See if your oral surgeon will write out any prescriptions that you’ll need after your surgery prior to the actual day. This will give you time to pick up your medication so that you have it at home and available when you are discharged.
- Purchase a blender or food processor in order to maintain a soft diet after your procedure.
- Shop for soft food and juices so that you have these items on hand when you return home from your surgery.
- Look for a protein powder that you like, as this can help to keep your energy up as you are recovering from surgery.
- If you don’t own a blender or food processor, it may be wise to invest in one.
- Consider the pillows that you have in your home. You may want to purchase neck support and back wedge pillows to improve your comfort when you are trying to rest.
- Invest in a cold/hot pack to help control pain and swelling.
- Buy a couple of tubes of Chap Stick to soothe your lips.
- If your mouth is wired shut, you may want to purchase Toothette oral swabs and Zip’N Squeeze products.
OTHER PLANNING TIPS
There are other steps that you can take to prepare for your TMJ surgery. First, write down a list of questions that you might have for your oral surgeon, and if you feel that they cannot wait until the day of your surgery, give the office a call beforehand. Having your mind put at ease will make you feel more comfortable when it comes time for your procedure. You should also keep the following things in mind:
- Make travel arrangements to get to and from your surgical center, and have the contact information for your loved ones available so that they can be notified after your surgery has been finished.
- Arrange for a family member or friend to care for your kids and pets for the first few days after your surgery.
- Set up your bedroom or wherever you’ll be sleeping ahead of time so that you don’t have to make any major changes after you get back.
- Have some reading material ready. If you have a stack of magazines and books that you’ve meant to look at but just haven’t had a chance, this is a good time to get started.
- Get some DVDs together that you can watch to pass the time, or subscribe to Netflix so that you aren’t short on entertainment opportunities.
Prior to your TMJ surgery, your OMS surgeon will schedule a pre-surgical consultation in which you can learn exactly what you should expect with the procedure and your recovery. If you have additional questions after this time, be sure to contact our office.